- Clery Act Information
- Campus Safety Information
- Campus Security Services
- Department Information
- Contact Us
Poison is splashed in the eye(s).
Poison is splashed on the skin.
Poison is breathed in.
Cleaning product is swallowed.
Anything else is swallowed.
Why call Poison Control Centers?
If someone swollows poison, do not call the hospital emergency room. Call the local poison control center. Researchers who made 156 "test calls" to 52 hospital emergency departments in Illinois found that the advice given was correct only 64 persent of the time. Calls to the same emergency department on different days for the same problem did not consistently produce the same advice. In contrast, poison control centers gave correct advice in 17 out of 18 test calls or 94% of the time.
Source H. N Wigder et al., "Emergency Department Poison Advice Telephone Calls," Annals of Emergency medicine 25:349 (March 1995).
Poison Control Center: 1-800-452-7165